All you need to know about Sound Sense insurance
- How do I know someone is covered by the Sound Sense members’ public and product liability insurance scheme?
- What does the insurance cover?
- I’m thinking of joining Sound Sense. How will I know my membership category includes insurance?
- If I join, when does my insurance start?
- Is cover retrospective?
- Who provides this insurance?
1) Look up the name of the member at Find a musician. Those covered by the scheme - individual members paying at the "earning" rate and up to date with their subscriptions - carry the flag Insured Through Sound Sense
2) If you need a printed certificate, ask the Sound Sense member to provide this. But because a member’s subscription may lapse or be cancelled at any time, you should still check Find a musician to make sure their insurance is currently in force.
3) To check that Sound Sense itself is covered, view their master certificate of insurance here
In brief, and subject to the terms and conditions of the full policy, the policy covers relevant Sound Sense members for their legal liability for damages including claimant legal costs for accidental Injury to any person or accidental loss or damage to third party property while:
- undertaking any activity connected with the organisation or participation in community music activities
- or (from 10 October 2012) music therapy
- or while carrrying out general teaching of music
- or for any other musical activities provided your income from those other musical activities does not exceed £7,500 a year.
The cover is for £5,000,000 any one claim (any one period in respect of products liability) with an excess of £250 for property damage claims.
The cover is worldwide excluding the United States of America and Canada, provided the member is usually resident within the UK. Relevant overseas members are covered for work undertaken in the United Kingdom but not work in any other territory.
All the benefits of Sound Sense membership and which membership categories they relate to are described in our membership information pack. See here for more information, or go straight to downloading the pack here
If you pay through our PayPal account, we can confirm your membership, and the start of your cover, usually within a couple of working days.
If you pay by direct debit, your insurance cover commences as soon as your Sound Sense membership is recorded on our database, usually within ten working days of you sending us your properly filled-in enrolment form.
Note that if your direct debit mandate is rejected or your PayPal payment is reversed you will be treated as not having joined and never having been covered by our insurance.
Sound Sense took out this insurance from 1 April 2009, and incidents occurring before that date are not covered by this insurance; music therapy work before 10 October 2012 is not covered. Any incidents occurring after those dates but while the member was not paying subscriptions in the appropriate category are not covered: you can check this for any particular date and member by contacting Sound Sense.
Hencilla Canworth act as insurance brokers for Sound Sense, and this policy is underwritten by International Insurance Company of Hannover Limited. Hencilla Canworth Limited and The International Insurance Company of Hannover Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority: see the summary policy for details of regulation and contacts.